Selecting Your Adoptive Family and Contact After Placement
If you choose, you can begin reviewing adoptive family profiles, interviewing and speaking with families in person, on the phone or through Skype. Adoptive family profiles can be made available by the adoption agency, as soon as you are ready.
Your adoption counselor will help you to make decisions regarding the right adoptive family for you. She will ask you questions regarding your parameters:
- Do you want an adoptive family with children?
- Would you prefer an adoptive family without children or without biological children?
- Are you looking for a married couple or single parent?
- Do you have a preference on one parent staying at home with the child or both working parents?
- Is religion or race important to you?
- What type of post-adoption contact do you want? open, closed or semi-open
- If you choose an open adoption, would you prefer communication through the adoption agency?
- Would you like to keep your information private or maybe communicate through social media?
- Are the adoptive family views on education, discipline and extra-curricular activities important?
These and possibly many other parameters will help you to look and find the right adoptive family. It is helpful to keep an open-mind as you look at families because you may find that something you thought is important may not be that important in the end. Keeping your heart and mind open will allow you to make the best decisions for you and your baby.
You will create a contact plan for after placement that will be best for you. It may include pictures, letters, phone calls, emails and/or visits. Act of Love will assist with your correspondence through the adoption agency or you may select to have direct contact. Building a relationship with the adoptive family will be important for you and your child.
“It’s been 7 years since I placed my baby for adoption. I thank you so much for the awesome support. I had a hard time at first meeting the adoptive parents at first. I didn’t want to change my mind. I knew this is what was best for my baby. I kept in contact with them throughout the years. This weekend they came to my hometown and I was able to meet them. They are awesome. I couldn’t have picked better parents then I did. My baby is blessed to have them. My heart feels eased now that i was able to hug them and thank them for all they do. I thank A Act of Love for helping me find them.” Happy Birth Mom
Adoption agencies are experienced and trained in helping expectant women and men in finding the right family and post-adoption contact plan. They are ready to guide you and be a support for you during and after your placement.
Call 1-800-835-6360 24/7 to learn more
Your call is private and confidential