Are you seriously considering building a family through adoption? An adoption agency can be helpful –it can provide the vital link between prospective birthparents and parents. An agency will also provide support to the birthmothers while providing step-by-step advice and assistance for prospective parents through the adoption process. A Act of Love Adoptions is here to help you through the adoption process. However, it is best for you to carefully examine the potential adoption agencies in your short list.
Choosing an adoption agency can be overwhelming. If you go on Google and search for adoption agencies, you will find a long list of adoption agencies operating in the country. To help you, here are some questions you can ask Act of Love or any adoption agency you are considering:
About the organization
– What type of programs does the organization offer?
– How long has the agency been in operation?
– What level of experience does the staff have? How long have they been working for A Act of Love or the field of adoption?
– How accessible is the staff?
– How transparent is the company in terms of the contracts and its track record? Does the agency provide a sample copy of the contract and the list of fees so that a prospective parent can study it?
– How wide is the reach of the agency? In which state does the agency have a license? Does the agency have linkages with other adoption agencies and adoption professionals in other states?
– How will any concerns be addressed?
– Can references from parents that have worked with the agency be provided?
– What is the philosophy in regards to open or closed adoptions? What requirements are there for prospective parents? Are there any restrictions (i.e. age, income or marital status)?
– What kind of adoptions does the agency facilitate? Domestic adoptions? International adoptions? Special needs adoption?
– How are the legal requirements for the adoption satisfied?
– What adoption-related services are provided?
– What post-adoption support is available?
– How many prospective parents is the agency currently working with?
– How many children were placed by the agency annually?
– With what type of families were the children placed? How many for two-parent families? Single parent families?
– How many prospective birthparents are working with the agency?
Fees– About how much does an average adoption cost?
– What do the fees cover? Does it include the fee for the home study, processing of the paper work, document taxes and other related costs?
– Will I get the breakdown of the service fees and the fee schedule in writing?
Wait times– How long does an average adoption take?
– After I lodge the application, how long will I wait for the home study to be initiated?
– If there are problems with the home study (i.e. the application is not approved), what are my rights?
Other related questions
– What if the adoption falls through?
– What if I have any problems after the adoption?
– How does the agency assist prospective parents to ensure compliance with local and international (if applicable) laws and regulations?